A quick web app for fetching Unicode characters without extra fluff
- Use the URL to build queries, will return matching results if more than one
- Click anywhere on a character page to copy quickly
- Accessible from command line, try
$ curl -L utf8.xyz/en-dash
- Short, memorable, and bookmarkable URLs without having to go to Google
- No ads, quick load times, small page sizes
- Open Source so you can read the code and can suggest improvements
Example Characters, Categories and Searches
My workflow before utf8.xyz
- Google the name of the unicode character
- Wait for Google to load results
- Select a website from Google
- Wait for that website to load
- Find the character somewhere in the page if it's not obvious
- Copy the character and paste it.
- Sometimes the website potentially injects additional text into the clipboard (ugh) fix those issues if any
My workflow after utf8.xyz
$ curl -L utf8.xyz/en-dash in my terminal.
- Copy and paste the character where I need it.
- That's it.
Why did you build this?
I built this service for myself and figured others would also find it useful